Monday, May 25, 2009

Response to Chapter 6

Chapter 6:
I have been using the social web for a few years now. I am addicted to Facebook! I post pictures and I frequently update my status. Though I doubt Facebook would ever be used in the classroom, I never imagined using social sites such as Twitter for educational purposes. The book lists several ways Twitter can be used in the classroom. For example, a teacher could post a short question in their Twitt and could use the cell phone feature to get instant feedback from students. I personally would never use Twitter in my elementary classroom, but I could see maybe how it could be integrated into high school courses. Though Twitter can be used for educational purposes, if teachers choose to use the site in their classroom I think they run the risk of students getting distracted by following others that may not be appropriate.

This chapter also spends a great deal of time discussing social benchmarking services. I absolutely love the idea of using Diigo to save links, while having the option to add comments for later usage. The great thing about this is having the option to access the material from anywhere that has an internet connection. As of matter of fact, I after reading this chapter I started my own account. This has the potential to be a great resource to use throughout my teaching career.

1 comment:

  1. I know sites like diigo make sense and I'm sure I will use them at some point. I just don't like the idea of EVERYTHING in my life being categorized and saved online for some freak governmental agency to use against me at some point. (my crazy paranoia.) I definitely won't be using twitter with my elementary students either.

    ReplyDelete