Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Technology Autobiography

I must admit, I am not a very technology savvy person. The first time I experienced a computer with internet access was in 2002 when I entered UofL as an undergraduate student. Then, I began surfing on the internet for entertainment purposes only. Over the years I have managed to learn how to navigate through the internet, but again these skills are basic. As far as using any other forms of technology, I use my cellular phone daily and my digital camera about twice a month. Here recently, within the last four months of being placed in an elementary classroom, I have learned more about technology and its practical use in the classroom, than I had ever imagined.

In my placement I was introduced to the smart board. I quickly learned that the smart board is multifunctional, in the sense that it displays images from the computer or the que viewer and acts as an interactive touch screen. Because my mentor teacher was big on using technology in the classroom, I began to implement the use of technology in the majority of my lessons. For example, in teaching a science lesson about weather, I used an interactive thermometer on the smart board to give students the opportunity to practice reading various temperatures. Also, in one of my phonics lessons, I used the smart board to display an internet site that discussed and displayed an entertaining way for students to learn about and create compound words.

By using the smart board, it has also helped me to realize the importance of technology in the classroom. Not only is using technology entertaining for students, but it also engages students in active learning. There are also other benefits of technology in the classroom, as well. For example, just by having internet access students can be put into groups to do research about different topics. Students could even create a website displaying their knowledge about a particular subject. Students could also use the computer to learn how to use specific software/application programs. Finally, students could get on the internet to take online assessments created by the teacher. Just as I have presented benefits of technology in the classroom, there are also some concerns. For example, students could plagiarize their papers from research found on the internet. Students could also cheat on online assessments by having access to the internet. Finally, students could access material that is inappropriate for them to view. Though there are concerns about using technology in the classroom, I think the benefits outweigh the concerns. Therefore, I support the idea that technology should be used in every classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I have never worked with a smartboard but this year have an inking tablet and projector in my classroom. It has been great to use a resource when I realize my students are lacking background knowledge to a topic we cover. I can simply pull up information and we can take turns reading it or summarzing, etc. Despite its good points I too see that there are threats to student safety and integrity when technology is at hand.

    ReplyDelete