Sunday, May 24, 2009

Response to Chapters 3, 5, & 7

Chapter 3:
This chapter is a run-on of chapter 2. Boring! Though, I must admit that I like the idea of having my class participating in weblogs. One issue of concern is safety. The author goes in great detail how to control posts from students and comments from others. I wonder if JCPS has access to blogging sites or if they have blocked them all together? The other issue that concerns me is being able to assess the numerous blogs. For example, in primary grades would I just check off if they completed the blog or would I actually grade the blog for their critical thoughts?

Chapter 5:
I had never heard of this type of technology until reading this chapter. The RSS sounds extremely interesting to tryout, but also overwhelming. As mentioned in the book, I guess it will take time to be able to spot the useful information from the not so useful material. The author also lists several ways the RSS can be used by educators. I like the idea that it can be used to gather new research information and even keep track of new posts that students create on their weblogs. The RSS is something that I can definitely see myself using in my classroom.

Chapter 7:
As you may be able to tell, I am not a techno savvy individual. The first time I accessed Flickr was in this class. At first I did not see how it would play a role in the classroom, but by collaborating with others and reading this chapter, I found many useful ways. For example, I love the idea that Flickr can be used to post weekly pictures of classroom activities. This is great for parents to see, especially in elementary. Another cool aspect is Flickr with Google Maps and Google Earth. I had no idea that you can find out where a photo was actually taken. I bet I could create some great geography lessons in the future using these types of technology.

2 comments:

  1. I had never thought to post pics of the kids for parents. That would be neat as long as you had the permission to do so! It would also be a great way to show people who had donated things to your class how you were using them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading chapter five I was all hyped about RSS feeds, but alas, it wasn't as easy as it seemed and I have yet to figure it out. Although, honestly, while taking this class, I have had little time for other pursuits.

    ReplyDelete