Monday, May 25, 2009

Response to Chapter 8

Chapter 8:
About a year ago I watched a Dateline story about using iPods in the classroom. During this segment, the interviewer introduced Podcasting as new and emerging technology that could be extremely useful in classrooms around the world. Like many other forms of technology, I never created a Podcast until this course. At first I was skeptical about Podcast because I did not fully understand their purpose in the elementary classroom. I also thought that it would be too complicated to implement within my classroom. After reading this chapter I was able to recognize how beneficial Podcasts could be. For example the author mentions that a Social Studies teacher could have students do oral histories, interviews, or reenactments of historical events. I also like the idea that teachers could record important lessons and post them to their weblog for students to have access to. This could benefit students who were absent for the day or even students who need to revisit the material to gain greater understanding of the content. My question is how many students would actually listen to the Podcast outside of school?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, Brittney. I think we underestimate students sometimes. I bet students would use podcasts outside of school if it were beneficial to them. I think Jami is right, though, that adding the visual element in screencasting would probably hold their attention more. (I do plan on using podcasting, though.)

    ReplyDelete